Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Gun cleaning tip

I'm surprised how many people have never heard of this, but let me give you a tip that will make your post-shoot clean up go easier.

After shooting your firearm:
1) Spray/douse your firearm with CLP, FP-10 (from shooters choice), or some equivalent. I recommend one of those 2. Make sure to hit the action, bore, and squirt a lot down the barrel, until it drips out the other end.
2) Let it sit overnight.
3) In a large deep sink (preferably in your garage or if you're a northerner, in the basement. Somewhere you aren't afraid to let chemicals sit), fill some hot water and a big squirt of dish soap, then lay your firearm parts -- broken down, but not to the point where something will go down the drain. Let this sit for at least 15 minutes, depending on how dirty the gun is, but I've let them soak an hour or so. Don't put gun parts in there that you won't be able to get water out of.
4) After letting it soak for a bit, take your AP brush and scrub every nook and cranny. Squirt more soap directly on anything that needs it. Scrub 'er good.
5) Rinse well, do a quick wipe down of everything you can, then let air dry for a while. I'll take my lower receiver of my AR, or any similar part to a firearm, and give it a couple of good shakes to get water out before I let air dry.
6) Put on any finishing touches -- there shouldn't be a lot of gunk left on the rifle, but go over it and if you find any, clean it off with your regular cleaning stuff. I still punch the bore and clean the barrel as normal. After you're done, put on your lube as normal.

No comments: