Friday, January 8, 2010

My favorite handgun

I have the luxury of owning some really nice handguns. My wife and I each get an allowance, and I spend almost 100% of mine on gun related items. Usually I try to save up for a gun of some sort. So I have a nice collection. I have some fancy ones, like my FN Five-seveN, which I love. It's an awesome handgun, and a great company. For what they do for our military and our civilian shooting community, plus their quality firearms, FN is my favorite gun company. I also have a HK USP .45 compact, which I am also quite fond of. In fact, my license plates are personalized with that handgun's name. I also own a 1911, Browning Buckmark, a Walther PPK, a Ruger LCP, a couple of Russian guns, and a few others. However, there is another that is my favorite. If you would have asked me a couple of months ago what was my favorite I would have told you different. You know why? Because I took it for granted. It's not the flashiest handgun, it's lines are quite classic. It was quite controversial when it first hit the shooting scene. It's caliber has been criticized, though it is the most popular caliber in the entire "rest of the world." In the last few months, every gun rag and gun TV show has had something about the gun, which has made me realize that I have taken it for granted, and it is my favorite gun. It just celebrated it's 25 year anniversary of its adoption by the United States military. It is, of course, the Beretta 92. The M9.

Let me back up a bit and say this: I love the .45 ACP (probably my favorite all around handgun caliber) and the 1911. I think of John Moses Browning as one of the top 5 greatest Americans ever. The 1911 was WAY ahead of its time. But...that time was over 100 years ago. It's still a great gun, and a viable self defense option. Probably the best handgun EVER.
But I still love my Beretta 92. Just as the Marines and Army that came before me who were issued the M1911, I am partial to what I was issued, and that is the M9. I carried mine for almost my entire 11 years in the Marines. (Most of my first 4 years in the infantry my T.O. weapon was the M249 SAW, so my sidearm was the M9. After that in my next M.O.S., my T.O. weapon was just the M9). I have fired thousands upon thousands of rounds with it, and honestly, I can't think of a single malfunction, nor do I remember anyone else that ever had one, either. Though I never fired my M9 in combat, I did carry it in combat, and on several occasions had it drawn and at the ready to engage a threat. Once I even pulled it with the intent of using it, but didn't have to. Every time I pulled my M9 out of it's holster, I had complete, 120% confidence in the pistol. And yes, I'm upping the ante from those that believe we can only give 110%. It is completely reliable, very accurate, and gives me 15 rounds to resolve whatever
situation I'm in.

Every situation dictates which handgun we sue. If I need CCW, the LCP gets
the nod. If someone is in the house that shouldn't be, I'm grabbing the .357 or my USP .45. If the SHTF and I could only grab one handgun, it would be the Beretta 92.

No comments: