Monday, January 11, 2010

In love with a blue alien woman

I saw Avatar last night, and all I can say, is wow! I don't care what anyone says, I thought the movie was great. The visuals of course were incredible, but aside from that, I thought the movie was great. The story line, which some said was lacking, I thought was great. it was simple, but who says simple can't be good? I guess it's the world we live in where everything has to be over-complicated. But as we know, sometimes the simple things in life are the best. What makes the plot so good isn't that it is original (man is sent out with dubious intentions, man falls in love with woman, man sees the evil of his ways, man changes ways, man fights for what is right), but it's the delivery that makes it good. And I have to say, I'm as much of an Ooh Rah Marine as the next Marine, but if I found a tribe of almost-naked loin cloth wearing blue women with bodies like Zoe Saldana, I would betray my species also.

Of course a lot of the conservative crowd criticize the movie for it's leftist message, and anti-war message, but I have to argue with that. The leftist message is there, and the movie is anti-war in the beginning. But it gets a lot less clear towards the end. Of course there's Sigourney Weaver's character, who is the righteous do-gooder tree-hugger that most people can't stand. But the movie demonstrates that peace can only get you so far. Because in the end, the peace lovers, including the human scientist Norm Spellman (played by Joel David Moore) picked up a gun to fight. It showed there is a limit to how far peacefulness can get you, but in the end we have a right to defend ourselves and our way of life. And you can't defend yourself with peace. To me the movie has the message that we should all strive for peace, but in the end when you're up against an enemy that doesn't want peace, you have to resort to a good old fashioned butt whoopin'.

No comments: