Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Depressing

First, let me put things in perspective -- there are important things in life, like family, friends, our health, there is are wars going on, people are dying, etc, etc. Then there are things that aren't truly important, like video games, sports, etc. Now that I've clarified that, let me say, watching last night's Monday Night football in which the Packers had to play Brett Favre in a Vikings uniform was the most depressing, worst non-important event of my life. On one hand I wanted the Pack to destroy the Vikes, because the Packers are my boys, I want them to do good, and I hate the Vikings. On the other hand, I wanted Brett to do good, because I love Brett (in a football sense) -- despite all that has happened -- and wanted to see him stick it to Ted Thompson, Packers GM, whom I can't stand, and to Mike McCarthy, Packers head coach, who I think stinks as a coach. But I don't want Brett to do too good, because I don't want him to have a legacy with the Vikings, I want his legacy to be with the Packers. For me the whole game was about contradictions, which left my insides twisted.


Brett has always been an anomaly for me. I have never gotten into the whole celebrity or athlete admiration thing. Except for Brett. I remember being at one of the Packer training camps, and Brett walked by fairly close to where I was. I was standing there in his jersey (as was about half the crowd), but for whatever reason he looked at me, and we actually made eye contact for about 10 seconds. My knees grew weak and I about passed out (not quite, but kind of funny). I felt like a stupid little school girl. I spent my entire adult life growing old with him. To me he was almost like family. So this whole ordeal with getting rid of him and now he being on the Vikings has left me kind of put off by football right now.

No comments: