Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Generation Kill

In case you haven't read the book, "Generation Kill," HBO has a mini-series out based on the book.  I have not read the book yet, but it is number 1 on my short list of books to read.  As for the mini-series -- currently in part 2 -- WOW!  I served from 1990-2000, and I can't speak for Marines that came before me, but as far as my time in, the movie is really nailing the essence of the Corps.  It isn't all about the glamor depicted in other movies.  "Generation Kill" truly shows the complexity of Marines -- how sometimes you love the Corps, but other times you curse it.  Most Marines live for the Corps, but some are just counting days until they get out.  You have the good leaders that kick but, and then there is the occasional leader that is all style and no substance.  Marines will know who I'm talking about -- there's always the Captain or Major that follows around the Colonel like a puppy.  I think every Battalion has one or two.
Anyway, check it out if you haven't yet.

No comments: